Saturday 25 January 2014

Mushroom, Leek and Gruyere Tart

Dish: Mushroom, Leek and Gruyere Tart

Difficulty: Easy, but more cheating on pastry

Utensils Used: Knife, sieve

Cock Ups: One

Recipe Book: The Messy Baker by Charmian Christie

Cooking: Felt in a bad mood the other day, so I invited Carole Heidi over for baking. Perfect opportunity to try out my new cookbook.



So, I cheated on the pastry and brought a pre-rolled pack (ultimately lazy) to spread out on my baking tray. I was supposed to score about an inch from the edge, but I've always folded the edges over, so I did that. Slightly less tidy, but it does the same job.


The recipe asked for a large skillet. I don't know what a skillet is, so I used a wok. It's the largest pan I have, and we had a lot of mushrooms to cook. So, I obviously very carefully measured out 3 tablespoons of butter, didn't just cut off a hunk and throw it in, and melted it, then added some garlic.


I got my mushrooms out of the fridge, only to discover they'd been frozen solid, which made chopping them a bit tricky...


The recipe asked very specifically for cremini or portobello mushrooms, so I used.... what I had in the  fridge.


The recipe then asked for two cups of leek. I don't do 'cups' measurement, so I just used two leeks, cutting them in lengthways then slicing them into little half-moon pieces. Aaand forgot to take a photo.


This was then fried together with the butter and garlic until the mushrooms were soft but not weeping.


I placed the mix onto the pastry and cook at 425F, which roughly translates to 220C and baked for 15 mins. The tart is then removed from the oven, 3oz of gruyere cheese grated over it, baked for a further five minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese melted.

Washing Up Required: Quite a lot, but some of that is cake detritus from the pudding we also made.


Result: This smelled divine, and looked pretty good too. I'd like to make it again and brave trying the pastry from scratch.

Taste Test: Both Carole and I thoroughly enjoyed this. The Boyfriend... Not so much. When he had a slice for lunch the next day, I asked him if he enjoyed it, his response was... less than enthusiastic. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.


Overall Result: I'd make this again if I could persuade the Boyfriend to give it a second chance!

Mushroom, Leek and Gruyere Tart

No comments:

Post a Comment