Saturday 30 November 2013

Microwave Mug Cake

Dish: Microwave Mug Cake

Difficulty: Easy

Utensils Used: Tablespoon, fork

Cock Ups: 2

Recipe Book: BBC Goodfood

Cooking: So, the Boyfriend is away at a friend's birthday party and for the second week running, The Walking Dead has failed to provide me with a Daryl Dixon fix. Needless to say, I was feeling in need of cake.


Being on my own and not inclined to make much of an effort, I decided to try a mug cake. I'd seen lots of recipes for them before and thought it sounded amazing. Plus, it was about time I got some use out of the oversize mug my sister bought me when I first got my job… four years ago now!


Mix 4tbsp of flour and sugar with 2tbsp of cocoa powder. Making a massive mess on the work surface and own hand optional.


Add one medium egg and combine as thoroughly as you can.


Add 3 tbsp of milk and vegetable oil and finish combining. I was a little freaked out about putting that much oil in a cake until I remembered it didn't have any butter in it...


Add nuts/chocolate chips/raisins. As I had none of the above, I added sultanas.


Microwave for 4-5 minutes on high, or until the cake has finished rising and is firm to touch. This would be easier to judge if I could actually see inside my microwave, instead of just my own reflection...

Washing up required: Not a lot by anyone's standards…


Result: The cake didn't overflow from the mug, and looked pretty good when levered out with a spoon.


Taste Test: Disappointing. I don't know if I microwaved it for too long, or what, but it was solid as a rock in places. And enormous. Way more than I could eat even if I hadn't needed a pickaxe to break it up. (Looking back at the recipe I do now see that it serves 2 - that didn't show up when I was looking at it on my phone… No, honestly!) I did get some custard out of the deal though, which was a bonus.

Overall Result: Really really easy and quick. I might try it again and cook for less time. And share with the Boyfriend, obviously.

Microwave Mug Cake


No comments:

Post a Comment